Monday, December 30, 2013

Orientation Day

I'm here!!! Or there, I guess. The weather is fantastic: sunny and hot and blue skies and I love it! Yesterday was rough because the flight was 17 hours so I was super tired. We took a 22-passenger van (yep, they have those) to the Wilgespruit Fellowship Centre, which is a retreat place built in 1948 to be a place for whites and blacks to interact, which was illegal at the time, of course. Lots of famous Southern-Africa people have stayed/hid from the police here, including Nelson Mandela and an old president of Mozambique. It's no 5-star hotel, but I love it more. It sits at the top of a valley and you can see a town with red roofs rising up on the other side.
It's about 4:40 PM right now and we haven't done much today. It's been mainly a MOP-orientation day, so lots of sitting and talking and praying and singing, but it'sstill interesting. Tomorrow we are going to visit the Apartheid museum and a Rhino-Lion preserve, so I'm psyched. More later! And I'm so sorry for the awful photo quality; these are coming from my iPod. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Gretchen!! Thanks for your update...so glad you made it there safely!! I have to say I'm a bit jealous of the warm weather you speak of (it was 9 degrees when I woke up this morning). Hope you are having fun and can't wait to hear more about your activities. We miss you! Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete